Below are NHA’s requirements for Pet Surrender. Please note that our policies are to ensure the health of the pet(s) being surrendered, in addition to the health of the animals at the shelter.
- An appointment is necessary and may be scheduled by calling (615) 354-6336 or emailing Admissions@nashvillehumane.org
- No animals over 7 years old (Females between the ages of 5-7 years must have spay records at time of surrender)
- Animals must be at least 8 weeks old (In addition, kittens must weigh 2 lbs)
- Dogs and Puppies under the age of 1 year are required to have at least ONE round of distemper parvo, and be held outside the shelter for two (2) weeks prior to admission
- Animals must be healthy when they are surrendered and not in need of medical attention (Examples of conditions: Mange, Ringworm, Heartworms, Upper Respiratory Infection, etc.)
- Animals must be physically seen prior to acceptance. We accept animals based on their age, health, temperament, and disposition. If we are unable to accept an animal for any reason, we will do our best to give you another option.
- Appointments for admissions are not guaranteed as they are based on available space. NHA does not euthanize for time or space, therefore there are times that the shelter is full. If so, we will have to cancel/reschedule appointments.
- Appointments usually range from 1-3 weeks out from the time the appointment was scheduled, and varies based on available space at the shelter. If the shelter is full, we cannot schedule any appointments.
- There is a small fee required to admit a pet, $15.00 for adult animals 5 months and older, $20.00 for puppy/kitten litters, $5.00 for individual puppies or kittens.