Who You Are:
- You’re someone who loves pets of all kinds and wants to be part of a mission-based organization dedicated to helping end pet homelessness. This one is big.
- You have good energy, you’re friendly and have a strong customer service vibe. You like assisting and working with people, as well as being on a team.
- You’re a self-starter and a hard worker. You care about doing a good job and making a difference. You’re dependable. You show up. You won attendance awards in grade school and you’re still proud of them!
- You’re a problem solver. When you’re given a challenge, you like the challenge of unpacking it and solving it from the inside.
- You don’t have to be a haxxer, but you’re not technology averse. iPads, email, basic computer work, digital photos, and data entry are all part of the job.
Who We Are:
Since 1946, Nashville Humane Association has been helping homeless and adoptable pets find forever homes and is one of Nashville’s oldest and most beloved not-for-profit organizations. Nashville Humane is committed to promoting humane education, controlling pet overpopulation and finding responsible homes for the homeless and adoptable pet community in Nashville, throughout Tennessee, and all across the globe. NHA has been voted “Best Shelter” and “Favorite Not-For-Profit” year over year, and is proud to have an annual save rate of 99%.
Here’s a bit more detail about the day-to-day work tasks that a Pet Services Representative will be asked to perform on a regular or semi-regular basis:
CUSTOMER SERVICE AND ADOPTION COUNSELING
- Work with public to provide first-class customer service to public with information about NHA policies, procedures, adoption process and other various information requested or necessary.
- Counsel potential adopters about responsible pet ownership, what it means to own a pet, the basics surrounding pet care, training, and how to integrate a pet into your household.
- Interview potential adopters utilizing NHA adoption policies to help make the best possible matches based on the adopting family’s life circumstances.
- Review adoption applications, interview applicants, and collect the information necessary to complete an adoption from Nashville Humane.
- Answer questions from the public about pets for adoption, their specific behaviors, NHA’s adoption process, our policies and procedures. Answer emails, phone calls, and public requests in a prompt, professional and informative manner.
- Assist public with a full-service approach to the adoption process, guiding them through every step from the time they enter the shelter, until completion of adoption and beyond.
ADMINISTRATIVE TASKS AND CLERICAL WORK
- Accurately input all information necessary to complete an adoption into the system software, providing all information required in a timely and efficient manner.
- Follow up with NHA adopters at regular incremented timeframes to ensure that the adoptions are going well and that the adopting families do not require any additional assistance.
- Receive, load, and unload supplies, donation items, shelter gifts and other inventory items as received by the shelter ensuring they are all adequately stored and organized.
- Manage Shelter Merch operations including inventory, sales, reorders and assist the public with all NHA Merch-related questions or topics.
- Assists shelter operations with providing a clean and sanitary pet services area that is welcoming, clean and organized for customers and the general public. Additionally able to provide basic cleaning, dishes, laundry and other shelter tasks as assigned by shelter leadership.
- Walking dogs, supporting animals on basic training skills and exercise, animal enrichment and basic animal maintenance.
- Support NHA events, outreach, fundraising and other tasks as necessary, as requested by shelter leadership.
- Solicit for donations and suggestively sell retail products, promote NHA services, and share information about adoption promotions and other pertinent information.
- Responsible for tasks which help to increase the number of adoptions such as collaborating with Marketing team to collect content or assist in content collection processes.
Basic computer experience including shelter operations software (Shelterluv), MS Office Suite, email and calendar. Able to work flexible hours including some nights, weekends, holidays.
Should be friendly, customer service oriented, organized, dependable, have strong communication skills, strong time management skills, a hard worker, dedicated to service, and willing to go the extra mile to help shelter pets in need.
Provides quality animal and people care in accordance with the NHA mission, goals and management philosophy. Must be physically active, reliable, compassionate, and willing to learn and follow NHA protocols for cleaning, sanitation, animal handling, and maintaining confidentiality. Experience with animals a plus but not required. Other duties may be assigned. Ability to complete tasks easily and repeatedly like mopping, scrubbing, bending, and lifting up to 50 lbs. Ability to work in inclement weather. Ability to work with varied animal species. Self-motivation, teamwork, strong communication skills & ability to handle stress in a calm, respectful manner. Ability and willingness to work a varied work schedule including weekends and holidays. NHA is a drug free environment. Reliable transportation is a must and the responsibility of the employee. Able to successfully travel and maneuver within the day-to-day workspace. Valid Driver’s License. All positions require working with, and in direct contact to, shelter animals and various other wildlife.
How to Apply
Complete the form below, or send an updated Resume or Job History plus a Cover Letter to firstname.lastname@example.org to apply. Cover letter: sell us on how you’re a people and a pet person, when you’ve excelled at customer service, and how are you reliable and dependable. Set yourself apart!
Compensation for this position starts at $15/hour for 29 hours a week, plus unlimited puppy and kitten kisses. And the satisfaction of knowing that you work in a place where lives are saved every day.
Additionally, this position may be responsible for other duties as assigned though not specifically numerated above.